Brew using boiling water and leave to infuse for 5 to 10 minutes
This is a unique and flavoursome Herbal Tea that continues to increase in popularity. It has a distinct liquorice-like taste with sweet, herbaceous notes. According to new research, Fennel Tea benefits include weight loss and improved women's health. Most famously, it supports breastfeeding and is an excellent alternative to regular Tea for those who're pregnant.
Fennel Tea Facts
- Did you know that this herb belongs to the same family (Apiaceae) as the carrot?
- Did you know that it is a popular ingredient in Chai Tea?
- Did you know that the Battle of Marathon (490 BCE) was named after the fennel plants growing at its site? That "Mathathon", in Ancient Greek, means "a place of Fennel"?
- Did you know that Pliny the Elder (23-79 CE) believed that the herb aided serpent eyesight? And that he recognised 22 Fennel Tea benefits in humans?
Fennel Plant Botany
Fennel is a hardy, aromatic perennial plant botanically known as Foeniculum vulgare. It grows to heights of up to 1.5 metres (5 feet), producing yellow flowers and feather-like leaves. Though native to the Mediterranean, it now flourishes in a multitude of climates around the world. Nevertheless, it prefers dry soils near the coast or close to riverbanks. In the UK, it thrives in North Wales and Southeast England.
Why Should you Drink Fennel Tea?
There are many reasons to choose this beverage. First, it doesn't contain leaves from the Camellia sinensis (Tea) plant. This, in turn, makes it caffeine-free. Second, it has an extraordinary taste well-suited to a variety of palates. Third, it boasts equally extraordinary Fennel Tea benefits capable of improving daily life in small yet significant ways.
Type of Tea: Herbal Tea.
Ingredients: Dried Fennel Stems.
Brewing Instructions: Brew using freshly boiled water. Infuse for 5 to 10 minutes.
How to Serve: This Tea suits the additions of either lemon or honey, or both! However, we recommend serving it without such accompaniments.
Tasting Notes: Fennel Tea boasts a delectable liquorice-like flavour with sweet, herbaceous undertones.
Colour in Cup: Pale yellow liquor, light in tone.
Health Benefits of Fennel Tea
Many scientists and herbalists alike agree that Fennel Tea is a galactagogue. This refers to something that essentially increases breast milk supply. Indeed, two small studies found an increase in some parameters such as milk volume, fat content and infant weight gain with fennel galactagogue therapy. Furthermore,
The University of Maryland Medical Center, USA, recommends it for colicky babies. One of the leading causes of colic is gastrointestinal discomfort. According to UMMC research, it "helps relax the gastrointestinal tract and gets rid of gas".
You can read more about the benefits on our Fennel Tea Benefits article.
- TypeHerbal Tea
- Health PointsDetox, Hydration, Refreshing, Relaxing, Weight Loss
- Caffeine LevelDecaff (none)
- OptionsLoose Tea
- Time of DayBreakfast, Afternoon
- CountryMore Than One Origin